Every bake starts with a craving for some flavors or taste. Baked a strawberry with fresh cream swiss roll on Saturday for friends but I ended up leaving it in the fridge when I left home T_T
Fresh cream has always been my favorite for all kinds of cakes. I remember tasting different types of cakes from the bakery and didn’t understand why some cream taste good while some are not.
There are two widely used types of creams for cakes, the fresh cream and the buttercream. Buttercream is made by creaming butter with powdered sugar, which I always feel they are too buttery and oily, on the other hand, you will be able to eat more of fresh cream as the fat content is lesser or probably less buttery for some people.
I usually get my whipping cream from phoon huat (red man) because it is the most accessible for me. Here are the 2 different types of whipped cream, fresh cream and dairy cream. Dairy cream contains higher fat content, I would recommend hand whisking method because when you over whipped dairy cream, it becomes lumpy and eventually turns to butter, whereas it’s much easier to whip fresh cream and you won’t need to worry about over whipping.
Pandan Cake with Gula Melaka Cream Cheese
3 egg yolks (I used 60g eggs)
50ml coconut milk
2 tbsp of pandan extract*
45g of corn oil
60g cake flour (sifted)
½ tsp of baking powder (sifted)
*Pandan extract: I blend 6 pandan leaves with about 3-5 tbsp of water. Use as little water as possible. Press through a fine sieve or squeeze to extract the liquid. If you have the time, let it sit for a few hours, or overnight in the fridge. The green extract will settle at the bottom and you can remove the excess water before using.
3 egg whites
Cream cheese filling
Gula Melaka (Coconut sugar) ½ block (crushed for easier melting)
2-3 tbsp water, just enough to melt the sugar
Cream Cheese 200g
Whipped Fresh Cream 50g
20g castor sugar
- Preheat your oven at 170°C.
- Mix together coconut milk, pandan essence and oil in a bowl.
- In a bowl, put together egg yolks and sugar. I used a hand whisk, whisk till light and fluffy.
- Next, add in the coconut milk mixture, gently whisk to mix.
- Add in sifted flour & baking powder, and whisk to mix evenly.
- Egg whites – Put the egg whites in a large bowl, whisk on high speed till bubbly or frothy. Add in sugar by batches while whisking. Whisk till soft peak.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of the meringue (whisked egg whites) in to egg yolk mixture. Pour the yolk mixture into the meringue, and fold till combine. Do not over-mix.
- Grease and line the prepared tin with parchment paper. Gently pour the mixture into the tin and spread with a spatula to even out so every corner is properly covered. Bang on the table top surface a few times to remove large air pockets before placing it into the oven.
- Bake for 15mins or till surface is slight browned. You can test with a toothpick. Remove from oven and let cool on a wired rack. Remove the parchment paper so the cake does not absorb the condensation during cooling process.
- Put Gula Melaka in a pot with water. Bring it to boil till sugar melts and let it cool.
- Whipped cream cheese together with sugar till creamy, bout 4-6 mins on high speed, scraping the sides of the bowl regularly.
- Add in the cooled Gula Melaka, whisked till mixed. Next add in the whipped cream and give it a final mix and your frosting is ready!
Follow Instagram: Judybakez
Follow my blog: http://www.judybakez.com
Follow Bigo Live: Judybakes
5 thoughts on “Pandan Cake with Gula Melaka Cream Cheese Frosting”
Hi Judy! Just want to say I made this cake twice and love it – the chiffon sponge is really soft and the frosting does not taste too heavy. I made 3 cake layers and added grated coconut in the filling, it was delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe and in such detailed instructions. 🙂
I’m so glad you love it!
I’m so glad you love it!
Half block of gula melaka is how many grams? Can i opt out the fresh cream? Lastly, how big is your tray for the cake?
Hi Ms Ng
I don’t think it would be light and fluffy if you opt out the fresh cream.
I’m not sure half a block of GM is how many grams, however I bought those round ones, and estimate half of it.