Today marks the 30th day of my post op. It was a hell month with pains and headaches that does not go away due to the tensed jaws muscles in my cheeks. I was too afraid to move or to bite because i felt my bones were still weak and movable!
Facial (not jaw) exercises worked!! And some smiling exercises too.
Tension headaches released, tension jaws released. Work on it!!
P.s: Today I secretly released my tight rubber bands that Dr Tan tightened, since Dr Lye says my bite is quite stable and I’m going the ortho tomorrow 👍👍<
It’s been a tough month, especially the first 2 weeks. Before the operation, I thought it was easy because everywhere I read about their experiences was just discomfort, but they didn’t mention the frustrations they are getting. I was wired shut, I couldn’t get messages through, I was frustrated and impatient. I cried soooo much (nobody mention that previously in their recovery), and nobody visited me. Not to mention I was super weak and fatigued from the anesthesia and the liquid diet.
I seek alot of comfort from a jaw surgery group (worldwide) because that was only the place where people understands me.
Along the way, I met more people who are Singaporeans that are also Doctor Tan’s patients whom I can seek advice, help and comfort from their experience. (That’s how friends are made)
There were also times where people do not understand why I needed the surgery and keeps saying everything looks ok. Yea~ on the surface.. Don’t be so superficial can anot luh?? What’s inside my mouth and health related issues, you know anot hah?
Then there were people who are so ignorant that they claim this is solely cosmetic.. When do you see cosmetic surgery done in our local government hospitals? Common sense luh.. Somemore medisave can claim, government hospital stay can subsidise. So good ah? Then i want to do my boobs liao lah huh!
Then another few would say, but you see your face change like become a different person liao, still say not cosmetic? Comon leh… jaw movement (Bones) ley! If face no change maybe i’m really an alien liao! Can you look beyond that?
Doctor Tan told me to be prepared for face that may have huge changes. Maybe my jaw deformity is so bad that the surgery became a massive one that almost changed my looks entirely. On the good side, everyone around me who are concern on my biting and face symmetrical issues previously are happy for me. They look deep and beyond knowing it’s for the best of me. They said, : To us, you are still you. Your face has given you more confident and the thought that you could eat better in the future is most important.”
Wahhh… so touching luh.. then u know who are the real friends and family liao lor..
But I’m so glad that god has been kind to me allowing me to meet people who are on the same path. I had some of Facebook friends who are constantly comforting me and encourage me through each day (strange that sometimes the most caring ones are actually strangers)
Officially 1 month post op. I’m finally smiling 😊😊 The rest of the swelling will take months but it’s ok, at least my teeth meets now.
Tomorrow is my orthodontist appointment. Once I get all my braces fixed, my journey to chewing will officially starts 😄😄
AND BACK TO WORK!! I’m still on HL thou, we shall see how it goes. Cross my fingers no post op complications and no more intense headaches.
The whole surgery ONLY consist of breaking and moving of bones.
NO implants were made.
P.S: I’M LOVING MY TEETH 😍😍😍
Works of orthodontics Dr Alfred Cheng from Alfred Cheng Orthodontics Clinic with Oral Maxillofacial surgeons Dr Winston Tan and Dr Clement Lye 👍 at The Oral Maxillofacial Practice.
I had a double jaw surgery where both jaw bones are cut and pushed back and secured by plates and screws till the bones regrow back. Doctors also decided on a chin advancement of 5mm during the surgery.
Jaw surgery recovery tips (based on what i have used and experienced) :
– Warm salted water gargle. Cheap and super effective on wounds. They are really important. I did it before and after every meal and that made m incisions heal hell lot faster and prevent inflammations on the wounds! Dy Lye was pretty amazed by my incisions recovery. I couldn’t brush my teeth so i also used orasol mouth rinse given by the hospital. That prevents bacteria from building in your mouth.
– Ice pack. They are saviors!! Apply them on your face for the first few days every few hours or as much as you like. Your face will be “burning” because your cells and trying to heal, ice packs helps to cool it down and makes it feels alot more comfortable.
– Liquid/Powdered Vitamins, Calcium and Probiotics. Your body has gone through a HUGE trauma after surgery and it needs external help. Antibiotics will cause upset stomach as it kills all bacteria including the good ones. I’m taking powdered form probiotics after every antibiotic medication and it makes my day alot better. For sale of powdered Vitamin C and Probiotics that i am taking, pm me on facebook.
– Warm packs. You will probably need this after 1-2 weeks post op. The muscles gets so tensed after surgery and not moving for weeks, heat packs warms it and loosen the muscles for better movement. I bathe with very warm water every morning to loosen my muscles in the cheeks.
– High Protein shakes and meal replacement. I heard so much from other jaw surgery bloggers how yuckie Ensure is, so i prepared my own Protein shakes and meal replacement. Your body needs ALOT of energy to heal, therefore nutritious food intake is very important. Juices and liquid alone, is never enough. If you wish to purchase the protein shake, you can pm me on my facebook.
– Big Syringes. Hospital will be giving syringe to aid you with your liquid diet however, it’s energy draining to pump and drink from a small syringe everytime. So go to Guardians Pharmacy and head for the biggest syringe!
– Very good Lip Balm. I heard vaseline is not good enough. I bought Burts bee Wax with peppermint and i have also gotten Paralin from the hospital. Your lips will be so swollen, injured, sore from peeling through the surgery that the bee wax kinda felt burning. I stopped and used Paralin since. Organic Coconut Oil from the supermarket is very good for healing and soothing peeled lips. Get one!
– Oracort E. Get it from your hospital before leaving. The sides of my lips cracked everytime i went back for review when they pulled open my mouth. It was a torture! This is for ulcers but it’s great for healing cracks on your lips too! Don’t buy from pharmacy, i feel it’s not the same. Get it from your dental clinics or hospitals.
– Frankincense and Myrrh oil. The pure ones are very expensive but they are worth buying for healing sake. Frankincense warms and soothe tensed muscle and also helps in the mood relieving stress, anxiety and despair. Myrrh helps in blood circulation, muscles contractions, boost immunity, strengthen gums, helps wounds and prevent infections. I applied on my face at least twice a day.
– Facial (not jaw) exercises. Doctor Lye cleared me on soft food on my 3rd week but i didn’t dare to because i had so much extra wires tired to my teeth and pressing into my gums making it so uncomfortable and sensitive to bite. By the 4th week when they release all my bands and wires, my face are still stiff and suffered persistent headaches because my muscles are not strong enough to support. So i googled and did some face exercise which includes expression exercise and smiling exercise.
Other exercise includes open (stretch) jaw wide to a acceptable range, hold it for 5 secs, slowly release.
Another is to lightly press against your chin, and open your jaw slowly. You will feel your muscles pulling.
It was the first time i slept peacefully after waking up from a severe headache and doing these exercises.
– H2O. Be very well hydrated. Drink LOTS of water, i don’t mean juices or fluids.
– Collagen. Doctor Tan mention that after surgery, your skin is stretched, water retention expands your skin causing skin to sag. Of course if you are young, collagen rebuilds faster. I wouldn’t want to take the risk so i drank collagen soup which can be purchased from here:—> https://sg.dineinn.com/hosts/judy-ng/foods/collagen-broth-z9ydzv8w6kexmw
– Chicken and Fish Essence. To me, this is essential for recovery and wellbeing after surgery, at least for the first week. Pure black chicken essence can be purchased here: —-> https://sg.dineinn.com/hosts/judy-ng/foods/pure-black-chicken-essence-uy3qdfj7u1vddq
– Baby Toothbrush and Waterpik. Dr Lye wants me to start brushing after week 1 removal of splint. My cheeks are so swollen that i can hardly reach a toothbrush in. Go to the baby store, and get the smallest toothbrush possible and start brushing. My waterpik usage is approved by Doctor Lye during week 2 but was afraid to use it till week 4. It really cleans all particles stuck in the sides or the brackets in your mouth. Keep your teeth as clean as possible to prevent bacteria buildup that causes tooth decay. What’s the use of a good set of teeth that is decayed?
That’s all i can think of now. I’ll continue to add in and update if i thought of anything else.
#jawsurgery #DrWinstonTan #DrClementLye #OralMaxillofacialClinic