I have been wanting to bake this for a few days but haven been able to find time. Today my 5 month old woke up at 5am for milk, and i have not left much time to sleep as i need to wake up for work at 6am, so i took the time to do a quick bake.
I love my brownies moist and chewy, with a crusty crackling top. However, this recipe does not yields the chewy texture inside but it is moist and the top cracks.
I had these brownies slightly overbaked a little, thus the inner is a little dry. I should have bake it about 5 mins lesser so to attain the moist texture inside the brownies. So do take note and adjust the time and temperature accordingly to your tray and oven. For me, i used a 8 inch square pan, with fan so i probably should bake 5 mins lesser or bake with non-fan instead.
To this, i also added 1 teaspoon of coffee powder to achieve the bitterness in the brownies. Chocolate and coffee always goes well together in bakes if you do not want an overly sweet bake. However, you can omit the coffee powder if you prefer to a sweet cake.
- 140g Butter
- 160g sugar (half brown and half white)
- 60g cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cold eggs
- 70g cake flour sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder ( you can omit if you don’t have)
- 1 tsp of coffee powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp orange liquor (optional)
- 50g nuts (optional)
- Mixing bowl
- 8 inch tray
- Baking paper
- Preheat oven at 180°C
- Add butter, sugar, salt, cocoa and coffee powder in a bowl. Melt the butter and mixture under a boiling pot of water.
2. Let the mixture cool down to warm, then add vanilla paste (orange liquor if you are using) and eggs one by one. You can use hand whisk for this but i am using an electric mixer for easier and faster mixing.
3. Add flour + baking powder, mix well before finally adding the chopped walnuts.
4. Line the baking tin with baking paper. Pour the mixture in the baking tin and baked for 20-25mins.
- For this batch it is a little dry because i baked with fan. I should be baking about 15 mins non fan, and 5 mins with fan. The purpose of fan is to achieve a cracked top. You can adjust the temperature and timing according to the texture you want.
5. Take out to cool on a wire rack.
6. Cut to size and enjoy with a good scoop of ice-cream!